ABN 77 282 419 852

Ticks how it effects us and our pets

A tick are tiny but can pack a punch to us and our pets from anaphylaxis to paralysis.

Some signs and symptoms below

People

Mild allergic reactions to ticks appear as significant local swelling and inflammation at the tick bite site, which can last for several days.

Severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) to the Australian paralysis tick, Ixodes holocyclus have been reported. 

Anaphylaxis occurs when the tick is disturbed, as this causes the tick to inject more allergen-containing saliva.

It is important to avoid disturbing the tick by scratching something that can’t be seen, removing the tick, or applying chemicals such as methylated spirits or kerosene to the tick.

Freeze the tick, using a product that rapidly freezes and kills the tick, and allow it to drop off; Or leave the tick in place and seek medical assistance to remove the tick.

Pets

Paralysis ticks attach onto dogs and cats and then burrow their mouth-parts into the skin.

The tick feeds on the host’s blood, injecting small amounts of toxic saliva into the dog or cat, which causes weakness and ultimately paralysis.

Prevention is better than cure.

  • Have long-haired pets clipped to make it easier to find ticks? Check pets for ticks every day (front legs, neck, face and ears are common targets).
  • Check every part of pets and, if a tick is found, look for others.
  • If a tick is found, remove it immediately with a pair of tweezers by gently pulling upwards and seek veterinary attention.

 

Tick Distribution

Pets

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published